Thursday, August 25, 2005

Talk about perspective

I spent last night dreaming I was going from one panel beater to another to get a quote on how much it'll cost to repair my car so I didn't have that great a nite's sleep.

But then I had to interview a 83-year-old lady today for her wonderful work helping over 72 families who lost everything in a bush fire at the Eyre Peninsula in South Australia in Jan this year. She collects various household stuff and drives three days over 1200kms one-way to bring all the stuff to the families.

The average age of the farmers who lost everything is mid-60s so the older lady said that its difficult for them to restart their farming business again and some of them are so traumatised that they won't go to the door to take things that are given to them.

And then I think about my car, and I felt sadder for those families. I think my pain is subsiding. If I lost everything, my loved ones, my livelihood, my will to live, I think I have more of a right to be devastated.

No comments: