Sunday, October 01, 2006

Small Eyes

My church members, Serena and Brian, dedicated their child, Allen, to God and we had a celebration with some of their friends attending too. One of my church members asked one of their friends, a filipina, how she met Serena and she said in a jewellery store. She explained that Serena had gone up to her and asked if she was Chinese. And her reply? "My eyes are not small". I laughed along with her but felt slightly offended. She was a great gal though and wonderful to talk to but I wonder what perceptions she may have of Chinese and if she had met other Chinese who had big eyes, cos small eyes isn't restricted to just the Chinese race.

And she had an Australian guy, at least 10 years older than her, with her, who was so unfriendly. She introduced me to him and he just gave me a blank look without even saying "hi". But whoever she spoke to, he hovered around her and sometimes, even put an arm around her. He was creepy...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahaha, thats funny. Till they see kayzia and my wife. Then they will have a hard time figuring out if they recently bleached their skin of not. blamed it on the amercians, their comic and show always have chinese with small eyes! I think their ad read this way" chinese actor needed. must be able to fight and get beaten up real badly. must have long hair (pig's tail) and small eyes.... ignorance is the word. you should have went straight into her face and go "eyeball to eyeball" and then proclaim, mine is bigger than you. try asking your dad, i think someone along the family lione married a chinese somehow.... you should also have ask her this while looking at her boyfriend, "your boyfriend?" pause, take a drink and then proclaim "loser". Be glad that u married phi. though he can put his arm and cover you completely,he choose to hold you hand and walk by your side. good day.

Tora said...

Frank, you just crack me up, man! hahahaha! That's so funny! As it turned out, her boyfriend apparently is very, very shy, and hardly talks. Even Phoebe sometimes struggle to get him to talk more. I hope she makes the right decision as she hasn't married him yet.