Saturday, October 21, 2006

Fete & Movies

Phill and I and my in laws went to a local church annual popular fete today where throngs of people apparently wait for the plant sale which starts at 9.30am. We arrived at that time but by then, the sale had started and there were many people buying up plants. And when the indoor stalls opened at 10am, we had a quick look around and had some devonshire teas and later returned for some bbq sausages - yummy!




My favourite scene from the movie, when Pierre and Morgan danced the Argentinian tango - Sexy!


When we returned to our home, my mum-in-law and I sat down to watch "Take the Lead" starring Antonio Banderas on DVD while my father-in-law and Phill were busy trimming our garden and pulling out the weeds. It was a really enjoyable show although I wondered if the hip-hop sections may have been abit much for my mum-in-law.

It's a true story of a great dancer, Pierre Dulaine, and how he wanted to give back to the community and decided to start dance classes in public schools in America. He was laughed at by teachers, principals and parents but he persevered and now his program is rapidly spreading throughout the country and very popular. I remember him saying that learning to dance wasn't just about the dances but about instilling values in the kids like learning to trust, to be confident in one self and for the kids to know how to treat each other respectfully. And the kids sure had fun!

"Dancing isn't about the steps. It's what happens between the steps." - Pierre Dulaine

No comments: