Saturday, October 07, 2006

Movie: Jindabyne


Phill and I just watched the movie, Jindabyne (an Aussie made movie), at our local cinema. It was a more enjoyable movie than "The Break-Up" (starring Jennifer Aniston and Vince Vaughn). More than anything, I enjoyed watching Laura Linney and Gabriel Byrne and how natural they were in their characters and with each other. Both are under-rated actors. Some scenes in the movie showcased the beautiful landscape too and it was breathtaking. Although the movie was somewhat slow-moving at certain parts, it feels like when one is having a degustation meal, so that towards the end, you feel really satisfied and enjoyed the experience but not overly full.


I had read some reviews prior to watching the movie and agree with one review which objected to the audience being shown right at the beginning that the four guys in the film were not responsible for the young girl's death. What ensues when they returned to their town after completing their fishing trip (they did not hurry home upon discovering the body) was the audience cannot understand the full extent of the rage and anger the town felt against the men and their families. I felt that the town had channelled their anger at the killer against these men, who did not do the right thing but were not the killers. However...the town did not know, the audience did.


It threw up abit of discussion between Phill and I about parenting styles too. In one scene, Laura Linney's character grounded her young son but Gabriel Byrne's character overturned that and frustrated her no end. Phill and I agreed that even if we don't agree with each other's decision, we'll stick with it when it comes to our kids so they don't play one against the other. But having been a child myself, I know which parent to go to for certain things to guarantee a "yes". Phill said he'll just tell the kid, "what did Mum say? No? That's it then, no."


Another scenario that featured in the movie was the disagreement between mother-in-law and daughter-in-law. Both had their points of view but I felt that it's best when parents leave their children to run their own households rather then to take over. In the movie, the mother of Byrne's character moved into the house, helped them run the house, then criticised her daughter-in-law (Linney's character) and reminded her how much she had done to help her. I saw how much she had helped but felt sad that Linney's character was trying hard but it wasn't understood.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My dear girl, no matter which parent you go to for favours you alway get your way. Very few times dad give in to my onjections.( you see I am villian here) Thank God that you both do not regard me as one. Very comforting that both still approach me for opinion. So most of the time you and tee tee get what you want.

We love to give it to you but sometimes have to object(I think to show some authority so that when you got it you savour it)

Anonymous said...

Hey, some indication there that I should not turn the brown's home into a lee's home(without knowing it)What I want is to do things the way I normally do, maybe I should change on my mindset when in rome do as the romans do.

Hope my next visit I remember to do what I had told myself today.

Tora said...

Hi Mum, you're funny. My views on the mother-in-law and daughter-in-law relationship was not with you in mind lah. At least you just help us and don't criticise how untidy we are, etc.

I was actually thinking that sometimes my mum-in-law may comment about how we can do things a certain way (with good intentions of course) but being an individual, I prefer to do things my way. And just that being 2 working adults, the one thing we want to do when we get home is to just chill out and watch TV. And I'm not sure if she's aware of it. She's very house proud but I'm more concerned about my own well-being (having a good rest is top priority) first. =P

It's the selfish generation. =O(

Tora said...

Just to debunk the notion we are some untidy couple, Phill and I leave our household chores til the weekend and only do minor clean-ups on weekdays, on top of the grocery shopping, cleaning, washing up after meals, taking out garbage, etc...