Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Capote

I took time off from work this afternoon and decided to rent a DVD. Only problem is I wasn't sure which movie to rent. But after perusing the shelves, I decided on Capote for which Philip Seymour Hoffman won a Best Actor Oscar. I was abit concerned about how brutal the murder scene was going to be but I didn't have to worry, except for one scene.


I watched the first 40 mins of the movie and cos I couldn't hold up my head, decided to take a nap and slept for 2 hours! Sweet!


So when Phill returned home, we watched it together and really loved it. I didn't quite know how to describe the movie cos it wasn't fast paced nor was it that slow to make it boring. And then I watched the extras and the director used the word - "controlled" - and that's what it is. A very controlled film but one which I enjoyed because the director wasn't milking my emotions as some movies tend to do. And Philip Seymour Hoffman really shone through. I read a review that said his acting was subdued and measured and not over the top as one might be tempted to do with a character like Truman Capote. And I agree. If I hadn't watched the actual Truman Capote speak, I'm sure I'll be wondering why Hoffman spoke in that whiny voice. He really had it down pat. I was more mesmerised with Hoffman and his chemistry with Catherine Keener (who played Harper Lee, who wrote "To Kill A Mockingbird"). And it is definitely a movie that will have you thinking and talking long after the credits are wound up.


The actual Truman Capote

No comments: