Friday, November 03, 2006

Beautiful Artwork

I had to write about our local hospital auxiliary art show, as part of Spring Arts Festival (an annual arts festival in our town), this evening and I waited around for nearly an hour for the prize winner to be announced.


Then I saw an artwork I liked and couldn't take my eyes off, until I saw the price tag - $500!
I couldn't afford it but I know they put their prices up cos the money will go towards our hospital. This is the second artwork I had seen from a local artist, Jenny Gibney. Another one of her works was hung at the secondary school and it was a much bigger artwork but that was donated to the school. I wanted to buy it but don't think at the moment I can afford it.

The 2 artworks by the artist spoke to me and made me want to look at it more and more. I remember reading an article recently that one has to buy an artwork because you like it not because someone else thinks it's a good investment. "There's nothing worse than having an artwork hang in your house that you eventually can't stand the sight of" was the statement I remember from the article. How true!

And then I was walking around looking at the various artworks and invariably overheard some conversations and heard one person say, "oh, I've told my husband that we should buy at least one artwork a year from this show." *rolls my eyes* Some people are really pretentious and so keen to flaunt their wealth and their ability to purchase the artworks. Perhaps I'm just being a sour grape. =P

No comments: