Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Mansfield Races



This was some horse and cart prance around the track to advertise a brand of beer.
I went to the Mansfield Races with my parents-in-law today cos Phill is still sick with the cold. Initially, I wasn't going to go without Phill but since my mum-in-law still sounded keen, I thought we'll go anyway cos I haven't been there before.

We were there at about 11.30am, found a good spot, set up our chairs and sat down and talked.

There were quite alot of people there and more were still to come.

And when my mum-in-law decide to place her bet on the Melbourne Cup (same day as Mansfield Race - both horse-racing events), I decided to tag along and look at the horses competing. I knew Efficient was the favourite until it was scratched and then Pop Rock and Tawqeet became current favourites. But looking down the list, I have no idea why but a thought came into my mind that a Japanese horse will win but not Pop Rock. So, I chose Delta Blues (the only other Japanese horse besides Pop Rock) and On A Jeune to bet on, $5 on each horse, each way (which meant if the horse was in any of the top 3 spots, I still win some money).

This was my first time betting and I had no idea of the horse-racing betting lingo. I just went up to the lady and said I wanted these 2 horses and only want to spend $10. She asked if I wanted it 'each way', and I had no idea what it meant but said yes. I would realise later that perhaps I should have picked 'on the nose' (for a win).

Anyway, we went back to the picnic area and sat down for a delicious meal which my mum-in-law prepared and we had to keep the flies and ants at bay. The weather was also more cool than hot, so we were wearing our jackets most of the time.


After 12pm, no horse race had started so I went and asked the lady at the betting counter and she said the first race was 1pm! So, we waited, and it was a three horse race! The next race was at 1.45pm, and it was a three horse race too. When we heard over the loudspeaker that the next race will be at 2.30pm, and 2 horses had been scratched so only one horse was in the race (it only had to run 100 metres for the owner to get his money), we decided then to pack up and go. There was hardly anything to watch and it just took so long to wait for a race. And with just the 3 of us, the conversation was abit difficult to get going. I also wanted to watch the Melbourne Cup race on television (at 3pm).

When we were leaving, my dad-in-law and I carrying the esky, we walked past these 2 young boys who said, "it's abit early, isn't it?" And I couldn't stop laughing. At the gate, we met a young mother and her daughter and my mum-in-law said it was boring so we were leaving. She explained that the race was about the drinking, not the races. But we don't drink. The next time might be better, cos hopefully, Phill will be there. He's usually the person that entertains the family, both his family and mine.

When Phill picked us up (cos it was difficult to find a parking spot), he couldn't stop laughing about how early we got out of the race. We got home and watched the Melbourne Cup Race and boy, was it exciting! In the last 30 metres, I had no idea which horse was in front until the horses had crossed the line and I realised Delta Blues won by just half a head in front of Pop Rock!

Yiipppeeee! Because the odds was $17, and I had placed my money each way, I won not only for the win but for the place too. But each way only pays half of my bet so my returns will be $2.50 x odds (instead of the $5 I had spent on the bet). My winnings was $57.50. Not bad at all. Before I sound like I'm advocating betting, I am not. I still don't like any form of gambling but may place a bet on the Melbourne Cup now, for fun, if I keep to the limit of $10? $20? I think I better stop the moment my bet increases... =O(


I didn't take any pics of my outfit til I got home and asked Phill to take pics of my outfit, which he liked too. So, here's 2 shots of it:

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i have one question: do you know how to collect your prize money? Heh Heh! I wouldnt know how even in Singapore! Haha!
-ah yi

Tora said...

heehee...i went with Phill because the place to go to usually has alot of men. True enough, when I went, I didn't see any women around, except for the lady cashier. So, I handed her my ticket and she gave me the money. I wanted to keep my winning ticket (first win on my first bet) but she said I can't. =O(

Anonymous said...

haha when u're back in sg u can join in the mj craze! :P

Anonymous said...

Hahaha! What ppl usually say: beginners' luck! esp mj. heee......

-ah yi

Anonymous said...

What beginner's luck? The Teochew say it is the blind chicken that peck the worm.

mum