Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Interview

I went for a job interview today and I think it went well. The position is a project support officer for a controversial project (alot of community debate and unhappiness). The project director was very kind and encouraging. At some points, he said my answers were good. But they are interviewing other applicants and will let me know how it goes.

I recall a conversation with my friend, Christina, about the different interview/ application styles in Singapore and Australia. I know in Singapore they reserve the right to only inform the successful applicants. So, after several weeks, you can safely assume you were not successful even though they are just tardy in their selection. In Australia, they have to acknowledge they have received your application and also inform you if you were successful or not. I'm not sure if it's legal but I think it's basic courtesy. I remember reading an ad by the Ministry of Education (Singapore) seeking teachers. And at the end of the ad, it had this line which read something like 'we reserve the right not to reveal the reasons for your selection or not'. I thought the line was really rude. The other ads from other countries' ministeries were more towards the line of "come and speak to us, discuss with us, we are happy to speak to you about this job"...and then Singapore's ad read like they called the shots. We know every employer does but couldn't they put it in a nicer way?

And in Australia, if you were unsuccessful, you have every right to call the organisation and ask why you were not selected (so you can do better next time) and understand the rationale behind their decision.

I hope Singapore will arrive at a stage where they are more polite and make the point to appreciate the applications that come in because applicants make the effort to write it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahahaha, you are right man! hm, i wondered where they learn it from. The main source. I cant help by to think the private sector learn it from the stat board, stat board operated by civil servants? the main soruce.... G********t? not hard to figure out what i am saying.Its very very rude lor. They scare we scold their mother father isit? They scare we can recongise their voice and whack them in the street isit? what can we do on the phone to them? (the most scold their mother father loh.... no lah) haiz, 1st world country 3rd world service. hope i will stay in this job long enough for me not to go thru another interview, another wait, another pondering if my hp is spoiled or what(how come no one call me one!).... good day.

Tora said...

Thanks for your comforting words and humour! You really crack me up! =O)

I've been staring at my hp/ mobile so long, I think I'm getting crazy...zzz!

I'll put it in God's hands instead...I'll have peace this way, otherwise will worry until go crazy.

And you're right, going for interviews are not really fun, when you're not getting the job.
=P