Saturday, September 30, 2006

Syriana

Plot summary from IMDB:
A missile disappears in Iran, but the CIA has other problems: the heir to an Emirate gives an oil contract to China, cutting out a US company that promptly fires its immigrant workers and merges with a small firm that has landed a Kazakhstani oil contract. The Department of Justice suspects bribery, and the oil company's law firm finds a scapegoat. The CIA also needs one when its plot to kill the Emir-apparent fails. Agent Bob Barnes, the fall guy, sorts out the double cross. An American economist parlays the death of his son into a contract to advise the sheik the CIA wants dead. The jobless Pakistanis join a fundamentalist group. All roads start and end in the oil fields.
~~~
Phill and I watched "Syriana" this evening cos I borrowed it yesterday and it's only on overnight rental.

I found the film confusing and I didn't know what the relationship between Connex/Kileen, CIA and Matt Damon's character was. Only towards the end did it all come together for me but at that stage, I felt I really needed to watch it all over again for the story to sink in.
And I was shocked that America will interfere in another country's politics to the point of murdering one prince (the heir) because they had the support of another prince (who wasn't selected to be the emir). But I believe there is alot of dirty business going on in politics, which may explain the current apathy among voters or just the dip in morale among potential politicians to participate in politics. I find it one of the hardest jobs to be a clean, honest person cos I get the impression you won't rise high if that's the case, unless you have good bosses along the way. Some betrayal, dishonesty (Lies are not just untruths but omission of truth), deals and backstabbing going on more frequently than any workplace.

But if we want to make a positive change, I believe that we need morally upright people to take the post and strive to remain untainted. We need more of them to make a difference in parliament and the world.

And that is why I take a different view to couples who are wary about bringing children into this world, that it's such a cruel, difficult world to live in. I hope my children may play a part in being the solution to the problem, rather than being a part of the problem. Just like we may run out of oil one day (looking increasingly possible sooner than forecast), I hope my children will play a part some way to finding an alternative fuel that will never run out. Perhaps it's my ideal desire to have 6 kids kicking in...haha! (but too expensive in this day and age if I want the best for all my kids.)

No comments: