Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Irwin's Memorial

I was waiting to watch the Steve Irwin Memorial, more interested in it than the state funeral that was held for Peter Brock yesterday in Melbourne. After work, I watched snippets of the memorial on the commercial tv news. But it was only towards the end of a 5pm news that I saw a significant portion of the memorial and again at another news program.

My tears just flowed when Irwin's friend, Wes Mannion, read his tribute, watching Bob and Bindi and Terri's crestfallen expression and then Bindi's speech. That just blew me away because of her composure and touching tribute and memory of her dad. One particular sentence really touched a chord - "and most of all, he was fun". If anything at all, when I'm a parent, I hope my kids remember me as fun.

Link to Bindi's tribute on video - http://media.theage.com.au/?rid=22027&sy=age&source=theage.com.au%2Fpm%2F2006%2F09%2F20%2F

Link to Wes Mannion's tribute on video - http://media.theage.com.au/?rid=22026&sy=age&source=media.theage.com.au%2F%3Frid%3D22027%26sy%3Dage%26source%3Dtheage.com.au%2Fpm%2F2006%2F09%2F20%2F&t=5NJFR1&player=wm7&rate=364&flash=1&ie=1

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

To me Bindi is such a brave girl. I am sure her dad saw this in her and a gem to them too. I admire her courage that comes from a little girl her age. To me she is a fine example for many of us.

The good Lord blesses her and her family.