Friday, September 15, 2006

When Someone Believes In You...

A bunch of daffodils given to me on Monday by a local resident whom I interviewed last week. It was from her own garden. That's another reason I love about being in a country town - all the beautiful gifts from nature! That really brighten up my day and week!

I've just had a great start to the day with the first phone call I received this morning. Normally, the outcome of the phone call wouldn't have given me any joy but it was what the person on the other line said and the things he did which has encouraged me.

I went for a job interview last Wednesday and really wanted this job, out of all the jobs I have applied for. I've been waiting to hear the outcome of my interview and emailed one of the panelists last Tuesday who said the manager, O, was having a meeting with HQ about staffing needs and will get back to me on Wednesday. I waited but he hadn't called me and I thought he may still be in discussions. And then, I got the call this morning...

He said I didn't get the job but I was one of the key candidates and had interviewed well [yippeee! =O)]. He told me not to be disappointed and that I had in fact been pipped at the post. He had also spoken to another manager, D, about me and a job vacancy D had at the moment. And he gave me that manager's tel number. O said that it's a 2-year position and if I wanted his advice, it'll be a great way to get my foot through the door. He also said that he is currently revamping his department and there might be a future vacancy in his dept in the next 2 years. I thanked him and said I enjoyed the interview and look forward to working for him in future (he really came across like a really nice boss and the reactions of his other 2 staff who was at the interview strengthened that view). I also wondered if his delay in getting back to me was because he was trying to work out a way (budget-wise) so that 2 candidates, instead of one, could work in his department.

I called D and he said he'll send me the position description but the deadline was today. I said I'll try and meet that deadline. Less than an hour after he had sent an email to me, D called to ensure I've got his email. I thought that was fantastic! I emailed the HR person and got an out-of-office reply and forwarded my email to D to inform him I've met his deadline and he replied to acknowledge receipt.

So, now I wait to see if I get an interview...

Thank God for O, his belief in me, his advice, and guidance, and also for D, who ensured I had the information needed to apply for the job. In my other experiences while searching for a job in Australia, I have not received that level of care and thought from potential employers. It really makes a difference when someone cares enough to know I am disappointed about not getting a job and then think of ways to help me. This really further strengthens my positive opinion of O.

It makes a world of difference when your boss believes in you because as an employee, you will work hard just to prove they're right.

I pray one day I'll have a job in O's department...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yr kitchen looks neat from this angle. Dad said yes cos the flowers cover the most part.

Tora said...

hahah....hey, it's pretty neat for a busy working couple....zzzZZZ! =P