Thursday, September 28, 2006

Bullied...again

My colleagues and I are having problems with this particular colleague, E. But personally, after an unpleasant incident with her earlier, I've been cautious but my opinion of her was sullied.

Some weeks ago, when I was listening to the radio, she entered my work area and asked if I was listening to the radio. I said yes and as I was smiling while working, even though she was standing opposite me, she bent down and turned her neck so she could look at my screen. This wasn't the first time she had done that so I said, "please don't do that" (cos it was an invasion of my privacy), and she said, "I thought it was something funny you were looking at" (even if it was, it wasn't her business. If I wanted to share it, I would). And then she slammed her business case on my desk and said harshly, "Victoria, you've crossed the line" and walked back to her desk (in another room), and came back again to me and said in the same tone "You write an email to xxx (general manager) and copy it to me!". Why should I do what she wants me to do, and secondly, why should I copy the email to her even if I wanted to send my GM an email? I didn't think it was major enough to warrant telling the bosses. I told her what I'm unhappy about, if she can't deal with it, it's her problem.

And then this morning, we had our weekly meeting and when she questioned one of my colleagues, W, about her work, W had a panic attack and had to be sent to the doctor. So later in the morning, my colleagues decided to have a meeting to discuss if the weekly meetings are useful. And one colleague, S, said perhaps it's important to set some structures in place with regards to clients (cos E has been 'stealing' W's colleagues). E patiently explained to S that structures are in place and there were some misunderstandings but it's been solved (according to W, it hasn't though). And then E went on and on, repeatedly, saying how W's panic attack is long term and will take some time to get over and that she's in an industry before so she knows. Finally, I couldn't take it anymore and I said calmly, "I hope this won't be used as an excuse against W".

Then E got angry and asked, "Who are you saying will use this as an excuse?"
I replied, "it's a general statement for anyone in the office who may use it."
E: "Come on, be honest, who are you talking about? Me?"
Me: "It's a general statement."
E: "Is it me you're talking about?"
Me: "Oh, stop being so sensitive" (I had by then raised my voice in exasperation.)
E: "Don't shout at me."

By that stage, I didn't reply and left for my lunch appointment.

I really felt bullied cos she refused to take my statement as it is and kept baiting and challenging me. But when my colleague, S, mentioned that certain structures needed to be put in place, she very patiently explained things to him.

I told my boss about the incident and he was very nice about it. I didn't want nor expect him to do anything like confront E but as long as he knows what has happened to me, it's enough.

When I got home that day, I cried again and Phill was so upset that he told me to quit. But I'm not in the wrong so I won't quit unless E becomes permanent (she leaves in a few months), then I may consider quitting.

No comments: