Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Book Club!


I attended my first book club meeting earlier in the evening and boy, was it fun, even though I hadn't read more than 20 pages of Kazuo Ishiguro's "When We Were Orphans". I suppose when you have a more captivating book, like "Marley and Me", it's difficult to pick Kazuo's book instead. The plot in his book moved rather slowly (but then that's at the start) and his character was not very attractive.

But the book club was fun. The monthly meetings are held in members' home and we went to a nice home today and I got to pet a little dog (I need my canine fix!). The discussions just flowed and in the midst of that, life experiences and stories were told.

One lady said she understood why the main character, Christopher, wanted to find his mother so much cos she herself didn't know who her own mother is. And when the topic veered to expatriate lifestyle, a lady said she enjoyed her expatriate life in Hongkong for four years and enjoyed all the activities that went with it. She said it was the best time of her life.

So, even though I didn't read very much of the book, I learnt alot from the discussion and there wasn't any restrictions with expressing your views. Anyone could and did. My friend who was supposed to go with me couldn't make it that night and one of her initial concerns were that if we, the young ones spoke, the older ladies would think, "what do they know, they didn't live through the war". As it turned out, it was unfounded.

I look forward to the next meeting!

No comments: