Friday, May 12, 2006

Cystic Fibrosis

I interviewed a 12 year old girl today for a cystic fibrosis story I was working on. I didn't really know very much about the disease but the dictionary's definition is:
A hereditary disease of the exocrine glands, usually developing during early childhood and affecting mainly the pancreas, respiratory system, and sweat glands. It is characterized by the production of abnormally viscous mucus by the affected glands, usually resulting in chronic respiratory infections and impaired pancreatic function.

There is no cure for the disease and there is a limited life span for sufferers. On average, they live to their 30s.

After speaking to the 12 year girl, whose 10 year sister also has the disease but to a lesser degree, I finally asked her one last question - What is your ambition in life?
"To grow old and be a grandmother."
These are the 2 things that are most likely not to happen because of the disease which for females, affects their reproductive organs. When I heard her reply, I had to stop my tears from falling.

I pray there'll be a miracle for her and her family and her ambition will come true.

No comments: