Sunday, May 07, 2006

Art and Caricature

Fairly laidback that we are, we decided to make a trip to the Benalla Art Gallery to see an exhibition on its last day. It was the Gallipolli war (WWI) from the Turkish perspective.

Cos we had the bump out for our play at 12pm and I was there to help out a little with clearing out the CWA (Country Women Association) hall we had used for the performances, we didn't leave for Benalla til 1pm under an overcast sky. Fortunately, the gallery doesn't close til 5pm daily.

On arrival, we headed to the local noodle house owned by a Malaysian and had 2 bowls of laksa. For $9.80, it was yummy and there was lots of good stuff. We ate as best we could and couldn't finish it so we asked for the rest to take away (it'll be a good for one of our lunches).

Then we went to the gallery and we couldn't have chose a better time cos the rain just fell. It rained non-stop and the scene from the gallery was just beautiful with the rain falling. Below is a pic I took but I don't think it quite captured the fleeting moment cos the rain stopped about 10 mins later. But you may be able to see the puddles on the surface of the water.



















When the rain stopped a while later, 2 young boys came out with their fishing rods in hand, eager to continue the day's fishing.

The exhibitions at the gallery was good but even though we were there to see the Gallipolli war exhibition, I preferred the exhibition on caricatures drawn by one of Australia's famous political cartoonists, John Firth. Some of his cartoons were satiric and I realised it takes alot of intellect to be a political cartoonist. Some were also funny, creative and beautiful! I love it! I find caricature and cartooning, artforms to be marvelled at, cos I can't do it although I wish I could.

No comments: