Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Melbourne/ Mansfield Cup Day

It's the Melbourne Cup Day as well as the Mansfield Cup Day today. Cos I've moved from an editorial assistant to a 2nd year cadet, my annual leave is increased from 4 weeks to 6 weeks but that means I have to work on public holidays. However, I found out yesterday that it means my pay was going to decrease by $100 a week!!! I've written to my group editor to request that the company pay me at my current rate rather than to follow the government's recommended base rate. As it is, my group editor commented to last Friday when he gave me the contract that my current pay wasn't really much at all when I asked if my pay will be reduced with the new position.

So I came to work today prepared that I'll have to work the entire day and cover the Mansfield Cup races. But after working for 2 hours, my chief editor told us to take the rest of the day off by claiming our time-in-lieu and if we were to go to the races, we can take some pics (on our own time) for the paper. Steve was going to the races so I said I wasn't going to go.

I was really glad about how it all worked out! Phill has been on a 4-day Melbourne Cup holiday since Sat and I was hoping I could spend today with him. Now I can!

At mid-day, we went to my in laws place to bring more stuff over and spent the afternoon watching the Melbourne Cup with them.

Makybe Diva won anyway, making it her third Melbourne Cup in a row - a history breaking event! And her owner announced she'll be retired so she can live in a lap of luxury although I wonder how true since she'll have to now focus on breeding winners!

No comments: