Friday, October 07, 2005

Snippets of Opera


Phill and I went to watch an opera performance today. We weren't too enthusiastic initially cos it was the end of the week and we were quite tired but I had to cover it, for work.

There weren't that many people around, probably about 50 in a performing arts centre that holds almost 200.

When I read the programme, I was glad that I knew at least some of the songs or the musicals the songs were from. The organiser had arranged this concert performed by 2 sopranos from the Melbourne opera company to raise funds for the Cancer Council of Victoria. They are one of the many relay for life teams in town.

When the concert began and the 2 sopranos sang "The Flower Duet" from Lakme by Leo Delibes, I think I was sitting there gobsmacked cos they had such beautiful and strong voices. And I didn't recognise the song from its title but when they sang it, I knew it was a popular and dramatic one, a tune I heard used in ads, etc. And from then on, it was a great concert and one which I was glad we did not miss.

On the drive home, I told Phill that one of the things I was concerned about was that living in the country would not give me access to wonderful art performances such as the one we saw tonight. But now that I've been to one, I'm glad its a possibility and w/o the high cost cos the ticket was $20 per person although I was given one complimentary one, sort of like a media pass, I suppose.

No comments: