Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Helicopter Experience

No, unfortunately, the experience did not involve me getting into a helicopter but interviewing the boss of a business that does aerial spraying over rural properties to help farmers get rid of weeds. And after interviewing him, he was going to spread some fertilisers over his property so I had the chance to take a few photos of him chugging his helicopter up.

What I did not expect was how dirty I was going to be from the sand, dust and dirt the helicopter kicked up. I have never been near a helicopter so I was unprepared for that as well as the noise. Fortunately, one of his staff kindly lent me a muffler to wear and with my sunnies, I was suitably protected. It was definitely a new experience for me and even with sand in my clothes and all, I'll say its worth it!

It also solved the myth I held that standing too close to a helicopter will suck you into it...hahahaha! How silly I was. One of the staff there had to help rig the fertiliser to the helicopter and he was very near to the helicopter and was not sucked in. I knew then the myth was busted (quoted from one of my fav shows: Mythbusters)!

No comments: