Thursday, October 13, 2005

Major Break in Mystery?

My colleague, Lynn, came into the office this morning and told Steve and I that she heard on the radio that the state government is offering a $2 million reward for information on who murdered two people in our area.

Out of the two, one was a young mother, Jennifer Tanner, who was found dead in 1984 with a rifle in her hand and at the 1st inquest in 1985, it was concluded that she had committed suicide. At the 2nd inquest in 1998, the state coroner found that her brother-in-law (her husband's brother), Denis Tanner, was the murderer. Apparently, he had gone to his brother's house the night before Jennifer was killed to borrow the rifle and said something to her that made her worried enough to confide in a friend. It was reported in the papers that the subsequent police investigation bungled up alot of the evidence. The suicide theory also fell flat later on when it was revealed that Jennifer was shot twice and had bullet wounds to her hands (supposedly defending herself while the killer was shooting her).

Denis has always maintained his innocence and has not been charged with the murder because the law here is such that if he's charged and found not guilty, he would not be able to be charged in future.

Anyway, I needed to chase up the story and had to speak to Jennifer's mother. I find that quite a difficult part of the job. If I was the mother, all these media hounding whenever new developments happen must be very tiring. But I had to do it so I called her and fortunately, she was nice enough but declined to do any interviews, only willing to say a few words.

I am now trying to get in touch with Denis Tanner, and abit worried about having to speak to a murder suspect, especially reading on news that a witness in the 2nd inquest was sent daggers, and things to stop her from talking. Not that I think I'll get any of that but its the first time in my job I have to speak to people like that and it un-nerves me abit.

No comments: