Friday, June 15, 2007

Simplify Your Life

I was reading this article about happiness at work and remember another forwarded email previously about having more control over your life by simplfying your life. The writer then went on to say that because most people are materialistic, they amass alot of debt and feel stuck in a lousy job because they have bills to pay. But if we simplify our lives, we would have more control over our lives and feel less bound (ball and chained) to a lousy job.

Which then begs the question? Is it better to be in a lower-paying job but happy, or higher-paying job but unhappy? Ideally, the former, but depends on how lowly paid. If it's too drastically lowly paid to the point you feel you're giving to charity by continuing to work for the company, then probably not.

I'm in a higher paid job now and admittedly, I was happy with the potential the job brings - still am. And I'm enjoying moving into this new field and learning so many different things. Thankfully, I found myself liking this shift in occupation. However....I've been having some problems with my supervisor, to the point that the other supervisor in our team (2 supervisors and 1 manager overseeing them) has approached me several times to ask if I'm okay and question why I've been treated the way I have - no idea (my supervisor can be unpredictable in moods and I feel at times of being bullied). I'm trying to hang in there and wait until a year before I suggest being transferred.

I don't want to be a wimp cos I know friends and even family have had difficult/ nasty bosses to work with but when it affects a huge part of your life, you wonder sometimes if it's time to make a choice to be happy. However, on a website that I read http://www.bigbadboss.com, being happy is sometimes the sweetest revenge.

2 comments:

tiramisho said...

Hey Vic, I understand what you mean. My pay here sucks, but I'm doing fine in the job, having fun working with great colleagues and students, cheap food etc.. However, I am on the lookout for another job though there's no real push factor.. just see see look look only loh.. and IF I were to ever leave this place for another job, that particular offering must be a real good fantastic one haha!!

In any case, it really boils down to personal contentment.

Tora said...

I understand what you meant. Contentment is so important. My previous job paid so bad that I thot with better pay, my tolerance for stuff will be higher. But in the current job, the lack of a reasonable and firm leadership is causing the entire team spirit to slip lower and lower with increasing discouragement. It's not the best combination either. Altho I have no wish to return to a job that paid as poorly as my previous job, a peace of mind at work (without backstabbers and discouraging bosses) is worth a slightly lower pay.