Monday, June 18, 2007

Shooting in Melbourne - 1 dead!

I read this The Age article this afternoon abut a shooting in Melbourne this morning!!! 1 guy died trying to shield a woman from being shot by a gunman! This is so unreal....

After work, I got onto MSN Messenger and had a short discussion with my friend, Frank, in Singapore about the shooting. And he said as a father with 2 kids, he's not sure he'll be so quick to help because he has 2 kids - definitely understandable cos if I have kids, I'll definitely think of them first. But I told him when things such as this happens, you don't give yourself time to think, you just re-act, and based on the kind of person you are, you either step forward to help or run away.

The guy who died, a lawyer, happens to have 3 young kids. Now, they are left fatherless....their father set them the ultimate example by giving his life for another!

2 comments:

tiramisho said...

Hi Vic, Uncle Foo and I talked about this matter too. How true it is when we Chinese say "好心没好报". Like that, nobody dares to lend any helping hand already...

Given the situation, I know I won't dare to even step forward so the least I can do is to call the police loh... I was telling Uncle Foo how I saw similar situation when I was in Kota Kinabalu, but not as serious, thank God! A guy was trying to drag a girl to I don't know where as they were on the streets. That poor girl was really reluctant and was crying, and several times just sat on the ground and cried! But we didn't do anything cos we think they know each other. Otherwise, the girl would have shouted for help??!

Anonymous said...

So sad to hear that the lawyer has 3 young kids! This death is so unnecessary and senseless. I agreed with auntie chris about calling the police. No need everything be hero one. But like what vic said, what it happened, our instinct take over. Just got to pray for a calm and clear mind to do what is right and for God's protection in this sort of situ.
frank