Sunday, June 17, 2007

Gaining Peace

During church today, when I was still very troubled and frustrated with what had happened at work the past week, one of the bible verses cited were the following:

Philippians 4:10-13 (NIV-UK)
10 I rejoice greatly in the Lord that at last you have renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you have been concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it.
11 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.
12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.
13 I can do everything through him who gives me strength.

I've heard people use the expression of words jumping off the page to speak to you and the above verses did, when I thought about the apostle Paul in chains and writing the above letter to the Philippians. Especially verse 13, "I can do everything through Him who gives me strength". I realised then that I've tried to survive at work on my own strength and that I really need to lean on God and depend on Him. And even when some people are so difficult to love, I can speak to Him about it who will help me do that.

You know, I find loving your enemies one of the most difficult things to do:
"But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you." (Luke 6:27-28).

For people who want the worst for you, who take delight in seeing bad things happen to you, who plot to trip you up, HOW DO I LOVE THEM? I WANT TO HATE THEM!!! That's why I love growing old, then with experience in life, I hope not too many things will faze or ruffle my feathers and my tolerance will be higher. And also, I can't love my enemies. But God can do so, and I can, only through Him who gives me strength. I'm still learning...

2 comments:

thefoosfamily said...

Often I find it hard to love my enemies too. That is because I look at what they are doing to me, rather than WHAT THEY ARE DOING TO THEMSELVES.
Refer to LUKE 8:26-30.
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke%208:26-30;&version=31;

This crazy fella came shouting at Jesus and accused Him of torture. Let's see this in modern context. If someone (dressed like him) comes shouting at us what would you do? I know what I will do, I will shout back, call the police or walk away and say "SIOW!”
I don’t have the power of Jesus to drive demons out of him and I don’t think there are any pigs around even if I have the power. (Thou some guys are more pig than pigs!) If I have the power, I might purposely leave the evil spirits in this guy. Let him suffer more, scold me lah, suffer!

Back to Luke

If you read a few verses up, before this incident. We find Jesus having some fiction with his family and He had a rough night in the sea with his faithless disciples. I know what I will do… I will blow my top man. This is it! It is time for fire from heaven, earth opening up to swallow up some fellas. It is time to teach people the fear God, don’t mess with God! Rather, Jesus healed him and became public enemy no1. None welcome Him and was told to leave.

I like the way Jesus talked to him.
He asked for his NAME. (Not to report police! Boy, name and IC pls.) He cared to want to know him at a personal level! (This guy is no saint loh). He didn’t go "when when did I torture u, u anyhow say!" "I don’t even know u" I wondered what went through the demon possessed man mind. This must be the first time, anyone asked for his name!

Jesus looked at suffering self that make one do and say silly things, therefore He is able to love and give. I look at my suffering, draw my lines, build my defense and start my attacks.

Vic, you are not alone in this battle. Jesus is by your side. He wants you to see the legions in people lives. He knows you can make a different in people lives. You can do it. Aiyoh, today I so so so so longwinded…… this one like another posting like that…. Sorry.

Tora said...

Thanks for your comment, Frank. I enjoyed reading it! And it does make sense. One of the things that makes me shy or embarassed about saying I'm a Christian is cos I'm far from being a Christian when I have a poor ability to love my enemies. Thank God for His Grace and Love!