Saturday, June 23, 2007

A hero mourned


The funeral for Brendan Keilor, the lawyer who died helping a lady who was in danger from a gunman, was held today. Reading several articles about his funeral, one statement struck me and will stay with me for a long time. His wife, Alice, had mentioned, and this was part of the eulogy given by one of Brendan's close friends, which was Brendan had to do what he did because to walk away "would have made him party to it". This reminds me of a bible verse (which I have trouble finding) which goes something like if you know what is good and do not do it, that is sin.
And after reading Frank and Chris' comments in my earlier post, I now understand how rare a person such as Brendan is because most of us (me included) will calculate the cost before we step forward to help a fellow man. Yet the bible said, "Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." (John 15:13) Yet the lady Brendan helped wasn't a friend, she was a stranger, which makes him one special HERO!

No comments: