Sunday, July 08, 2007

"Knocked Up" A KnockOut!

We arrived in Melbourne yesterday for a 3 day trip - Yeah! Most of yesterday was taken up watching footy at MCG - Collingwood (our team) vs St Kilda. The umpiring was AWFUL but we finally won, which was a relief, cos I had enough of the row of St Kilda fans sitting behind us going on and on and gloating about winning when the final whistle hadn't even been blown yet!!! SHUT UP! So our win definitely shut them up! And Phill and I stood up and kept singing the team song despite the supporters of both teams having upped and left already. We sang the theme song about 6 times and yet it wasn't enough! I think anyone can tell we don't come to Melbourne much to watch the footy....heehee!



Amidst going to the bookstores, shopping, and eating (ate at Chom Chom, a Singapore Cafe, and had Japanese food at another cafe), we watched the movie "Knocked Up" which had really good reviews and publicity. Most papers gave between three to four stars for it and I read reviews that said the director did try and make the story believable. Who would believe a gorgeous girl would sleep with a less attractive guy? But cleverly done, many stages in the development of the story and the various relationships/ friendships in the movie was not only believable but it struck a chord (except the non-commital issues).


When Alison's (played by Katherine Heigl of "Grey's Anatomy") bro-in-law sought some private time, I could see that struggle in relationships around me, where the guy want some space for himself and the wife pulling him back which leads to resentment between couples building. After the movie, I had this discussion with Phill in that most times, when guys want time to themselves, who end up holding the kids? It's the woman, the mum. The character Pete (played by Paul Rudd) should have offered to take the kids sometimes so his wife could also have her own private time instead of insisting he needed private time for himself.



On a separate issue, I enjoyed watching the movie because I find Katherine Heigl really pretty. I first saw her in Grey's Anatomy and cos I don't really follow the show, I was surprised when it was not her but Ellen Pompeo (who plays Dr Meredith Grey) who was the star of the show. Katherine is so much prettier and I read somewhere she had to fight real hard to get a pay raise in the show while other actors like Ellen got it easily. I think the show's producers should increase Katherine's role as Dr Izzie. She did very well in the previous season when the patient who loved her and whom she adored died. It was so sad that the first time I saw the video montage and heard Snow Patrol's "Chasing Cars", I teared up.


No comments: