Friday, June 09, 2006

Aunty Peggy - I miss you!

My Aunty Peggy passed away late afternoon (Singapore time). I didn't know about it until I finished covering an event, the official opening of our revamped visitor information centre, in the evening. I got an sms from my bro and a voicemail msg from my mum.

I can't believe it. I felt so numb.

My aunt was diagnosed with leukaemia late last year and has been bravely fighting it. I believed she will win the fight and I'll see her again...

My memories of her came flooding back and my tears just flowed.

One distinct memory I had of her when I was little was how she will give me a little present during my bro's birthday and vice versa. She didn't like to see a little kid missing out on a pressie just cos it wasn't his/ her birthday. That made me look forward not only to my own birthday, but also my brother's too.

Another memory was when I stayed over at her place when I was young and had just come out of the shower with wet hair and I was playing with her son, my cousin, Nick. My aunt came to me and offered to blow-dry my hair. While she was doing it, Nick teased her and said she did it cos she liked my long hair. She just smiled and explained to him that I shouldn't leave my hair wet. I enjoyed her mothering.

I'll miss my aunt - her mothering, her distinct voice, and her presence.

Her passing made me realise how sad I am to lose her and how close she is to me.

Thinking back to the last time I saw her in Singapore in January, I left with no doubt that she loves both Phill and I.

I hope she also knows how much we love her.

With her passing, I realise I am much closer to heaven and further away from the world.

I look forward to seeing her again...and am glad our mutual belief in Jesus Christ gives us the certainty of heaven and a place there.

No comments: