Sunday, November 11, 2007

Heritage Planning @ Bendigo

Eerie House


One of only 2 houses in Australia with an old Dutch style roof - only one other house in Qld has the same type of roof. Owner wanted to preserve this house but was told the construction quality was poor but the roof was another thing and worth preserving.

A cemetry also tells a story - of families during the Gold Rush who lived through hard times and had to bury their children. This cemetry was on a hill and while the men worked, if they looked up, they see the cemetry above - how sad for the fathers to be reminded of their loss!
The headstone for a very young child...I felt bad taking this photo.

I went with a colleague, L, to Bendigo for a Heritage Planning course, one which they considered a Spring course rather than a summer course since it was held in November. I've never been to Bendigo and while I liked it, I preferred Ballarat and Geelong where I went on a field trip (for the subject Rural and Regional Planning) and communications workshop respectively. I met some of L's fellow students as her course is with La Trobe Uni but my lecturer teaches at both universities (RMIT and La Trobe) so he organised a combined Heritage Planning course for both students.

I was really fighting hard to stay awake during some parts of the course and at some point, I became really frustrated and fed-up because one of the other lecturers (not my lecturer who is in tuned with the energy levels of his students - he usually finish his classes early) kept talking even though some of the stuff had been mentioned already. I hate when people repeat themselves and love the sound of their own voice. Enough already and what a waste of my time! So, while I enjoyed some of the course, I found some of the lecturers not very effective or interesting either.....zzzzzz!

Now, to do my assignments - due on 19 February. But...........I need a break first!

No comments: