Monday, October 15, 2007

Fit for fire duties

I had a medical test at work today to test my general health and well-being and had some tests such as for lung capacity that I hadn't tested for previously. The lung test was tough. The doctor handed me a black roll (looks like a toilet roll!) and then made me blow and I blew up my entire breath after like 3 seconds. Then he told me to do it again and said to just keep blowing out my breath. The next time I did it in like 5 seconds but it felt like it took ages. I've never taken a test like that before and boy, was I tired. A little disappointed with my lung capacity but the doctor said the result was an average result, generally the result most people have anyway. And I asked for how I could improve my lung capacity and he said to take deeper breaths and also more cardio exercise, EVERYDAY!

Anyway, the test was also to see if I was fit for duty during bushfires. And the outcome? The doctor ticked the box for A which is the best fitness ability and he said I am fit to be a firefighter! What? Me?! NO way!!!!! I smiled but it will only be in my dreams cos I'll be a liability rather than an asset.

I've also attended a briefing recently for information officers and so am assuming that was what I'll be doing which is basically ascertaining the information we receive and decide who to dispense the information to. It sounds like a challenging, interesting and sometimes frustrating opportunity. And that's because of the tight deadlines involved and the different personalities that's in the mix. Well, I know it'll be a great experience and an eye-opener and if the time comes, I hope to be helpful.

No comments: