Friday, October 05, 2007

Nathan Buckley...retires...sob!

It was to be expected cos he's 36 already but I was still very sad (especially after James Clement's retirement earlier) when I heard he announced his retirement. Buckley will remain one of the rare players who deserved a premiership medal but wasn't fortunate to play in a premiership winning side although we did come close several times after 1990, last time Collingwood won a premiership.

A committed player whom as a supporter you can trust will definitely give his best. He is among the best on and off the field and it will be different for me when I don't have him to look out for. When I first went to Australia in 1996 and was introduced into the sport of aussie rules, Buckley's unusual looks and passionate play and Damien Monkhorst's humour made me look out for these 2 players. Monkhorst has long retired but it was a delight to see Buckley play for 11 years since.

I still hope to see Buckley around...he'll be missed!!

No comments: