Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Wonderful: Kite Runner

I had to read Khaled Hosseini's Kite Runner for book club this month. And just over the weekend, I realised that I hadn't read the book so I decided to bring it along on Monday afternoon on the train to Melbourne and I finished reading it in 2 days!!! Such a gripping book that I just couldn't put down!!!

We had a stimulating discussion from the book and we were dismayed at how weak the protagonist was! There was one point during the discussion when one of the book club members turned to me and asked,"so, is there kite flying in China?". I smiled and just turned to the whole group and said,"There is kite flying in Singapore and I remember the stories my mum used to tell me about my uncle and his kites and competing to cut down other kites so I can relate to the kite flying described in the book."

Someone else had to tell her that there was kite flying in China. I didn't know that so I couldn't answer her. And I thought she was rude to assume I was from China!!

No comments: