Sunday, April 30, 2006

Sweet Success

















My castmates and I performed to more than 200 audiences in town, over 3 performances this weekend, beginning from Friday, our opening night. This is a culmination of over 2 months worth of rehearsals, anxiety, and time spent memorising our lines. The 6 of us are involved in the play, "Big Bill". At every performance, 2 one-act plays are performed - the first is "Scones" followed by "Big Bill".

Scones is set against a country fete organised by the country women association (CWA) and how a new city dweller who has just moved to the country upset their routine. In the process, she upset one prominent CWA lady who puts her in her place. The city lass then plots her revenge but later learns how everything works in the country and works out the misunderstanding she had.

In Big Bill, I play the part of a country policewoman (haha! have I seen a Chinese policewoman here? No. Anyway, i think I'm not strong or tall enough to really be a copper.) and am supposed to be on holiday with my boyfriend (played by my colleague, Steve). However, trouble starts when we try to share a communal bbq and are kicked off by Big Bill and his lackey, Merv. I then plot my revenge when I find out a secret that Big Bill has not told anyone. Later though, I learnt my lesson when I realised Big Bill is just a good family man and try to make amends.

Both are humourous plays that have received very good response from the audiences, who are generous with their laughter. I think the strong lights on stage helps calm our nerves down cos we can't see the audiences very well at all.

Phill, my parents-in-law and family friends watched me on opening night and gave me flowers - how sweet! They enjoyed the play and said I was good. It was so encouraging! And quite a few people came up to me, even some at the local supermarket, to say that I did well. I'm on cloud nine.

Maybe I should contemplate going to NIDA (Australia's National Institute of Dramatic Art). Alas, I'm too old and I don't think I'm good enough tho I wish I am.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bravo! Congratulations! Well Done! Got DVD? I want to buy.
-ah yi

Tora said...

Thanks, ah yi! =O) Someone did the recording so definitely will have DVD but I heard my director say that someone needs to work out how to do the transfer to DVD....=O(

Anonymous said...

I think Ah Yi wants the DVD to show her niece off, if not then it is to see more of you in action. Ah maybe she will pass it to some movie director for a review.

mum (very good imagination)