Tuesday, April 25, 2006

ANZAC Day dawn service

















Both Phill and I woke up early this morning to attend the ANZAC (Australian and New Zealand Army Corps) Day dawn service at 6am, my first dawn service. To get to the memorial gates where the service was held is only a less 5 mins drive away. It was however a really cold morning.

I told my editor I would cover the service for our paper in time for it to hit the streets later today so that our news will be the latest.

I was surprised when I saw so many people at the service. It was a solemn and memorable service with one elderly serviceman playing the "Last Post" on the bugle, something that never fails to stir an emotion in me and brings tears to my eyes as I remember the soldiers who fought and are still fighting in wars.

When we arrived home about 6.15am, I asked Phill how many people he thought there was as I needed to write my article. I reckon it was about 100 but he said it's closer to 200. His reasoning?
"You're too short, you couldn't see all the people that were there,"

I decided to take his word and mine, and put the figure down to 150.

No comments: